Ok, it’s time. You saved up and bought your new computer system. Windows 10 has booted up for the first time and everything looks like it should. But remember, this is a new install. And we all know the main Windows 10 problems. Adware, tracking applications, unwanted fluff. So where do you go from here to ensure your install is as good as it can be? Follow our guide below and soon enough you will have a supercharged, private, ad free version of Windows 10.
First up let’s tackle the software that you should install.
Windows 10 Problems – Software
Head over to Ninite.com. This nifty site allows us to download and install almost everything we need in one hit. As an added bonus, it also makes sure we do not get any unwanted add-on programs when we install the bits we need.
At Ninite, choose the applications you want. If you are unsure at this point, here’s a list of the main ones you will need.
- Chrome – Best web browser out there at the moment.
- 7-Zip – File compression – decompression. Completely free and so easy to use.
- VLC – A great media player. Much better than the built-in players Microsoft use. Will play anything you throw at it.
- GIMP – A free alternative to Photoshop. Brilliant for amateurs.
- Foxit Reader – A great free option for reading PDF’s.
- OpenOffice or LibreOffice – A free office suite to use instead of Microsoft Office.
- MalwareBytes – Although Windows 10 has a built-in security, Malwarebytes will add another layer of security and provide protection against other threats.
- qBittorrent – Everyone needs a decent torrent client.
These are the main ones we need. But use your common sense. Need a Steam client? Tick it. How about Skype? Grab that too. Once you have your selection, click Get Your Ninite. It will download the installer package. Click it and let it install everything on to your system. How easy was that? Now, most of these programs need no set up at all and will be ready to use as soon as you need them. However, we are in the business of stopping Windows 10 problems, so let’s go through the extensions needed to make Chrome more secure and easier to use.
- uBlock Origin – The only decent adblocker available. Adblocker started selling to ad companies, allowing their adverts through, so is no longer an option.
- Poper Blocker – Catches anything missed by Ublock and stops annoying pop up adverts.
- Ghostery – Protect your privacy and much more. Can also be used to stop auto playing videos from playing.
Lastly we need to grab just one more program. Unchecky is a must have on all computers. At some point you, or a loved one is going to want to install a program on the computer. Odds on, it will also come with crapware that also installs. Slowing down your computer and taking up resources. Unchecky stops that. It automatically unchecks the boxes during install so all you get is a clean system.
Next up we need to deal with the problems of Microsoft and them spying on you. Which is ridiculous that I even need to say it, but there we go.
Windows 10 Problems – Privacy, Spyware & Adverts
Now that we have all our software dealt with, lets move on to the security side of things. First up is ShutUp10 from O&O. This free piece of software allows you to change your security and privacy settings. Effectively giving you back control of your computer. Below are the main points for this software:
- Adapt your security settings.
- Protect your privacy.
- Control location services.
- Control Windows Updates.
- Do not pass on your user data and diagnostics.
For a full overview of ShutUp10, check out the video below.
Did I mention it also comes as a portable version? So you don’t even have to install it fully on to your pc. Now that we have the main problems cleared up, let’s move on to the bits that might have been missed.
Disable lock Screen Ads
The lock screen adverts are extremely annoying. Here’s how to disable them. Go to Settings > Personalization and then down to lock screen. Set background to picture and make sure the slider below “Get fun facts, tips, and more” is over to Off.
With that done, next let’s get rid of the annoying shit that is OneDrive.
Remove One Drive
Follow the commands below and it will be removed in no time at all.
- Hold down the Windows key and press R.
- Type this into the box that appears:
- Click OK and click yes on the UAC control.
Right, last one. We are nearly there, I promise!
Although we have disabled almost all the tracking, let’s make sure we have not missed anything. For this we are going to use Spybot Anti-Beacon. As stated on their website, it’s small, easy to use and free! All you need to do is download and install the software and then click “Immunize” to disable all know tracking features within the operating system. But don’t worry, if you need to revert the system, all you have to do is go back in and click “undo”.
There it is. The best way to ensure you have a completely clean, fully working, private operating system.